Tuesday, April 19, 2011

All White


“I feel like the whales are talking to me with their eyes.”

So said one viewer of an exhibition of life-size photographs of whales.

As the briny Fates would have it, 
I am rereading 'Moby Dick,'
a ceaseless cetacean spouting forth of quotes:

"The universal thump is passed around."

[Ship captains] "make me jump from spar to spare, 
like a grasshopper in a May meadow."

"I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts."

"The great floodgates of the wonderworld swung open."

"Better sleep with a sober cannibal than a drunken Christian."


"Things that God would have us do are hard for us to do....
It is in...disobeying ourselves, wherein the 
hardness of obeying God consists."

"Methinks my body is but the lees of my better being."

"Yes, the world's a ship on its passage out, and 
not a voyage complete; and the pulpit is on its prow."

"Conscience is the wound."