Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Plath Lines: The Frogs on the Mud Bed

Though best known for her poetry, Sylvia Plath's diaries contain prose that is as good or better, much better, I think....She plugged into the cosmic wall socket. And took the full jolt. Here are some random lines....


My heart a hurting fisted lump in my chest.

A mean wrong face

Odd, lousy smile

Grim gripped lips and yes that measure, reserved, cold, the changes she takes and has to take and will take.

My intuition clears for me like a pool of clearing water after the mud settles. O I see the frogs on the mud bed.

I gave her a mad wild still stony glare that snuffed hers out.

As if a great muscular owl were sitting on my chest, its talons clenching and constricting my heart

The white hardboiled egg, the green head of lettuce, the two suave pink veal chops dared me to do anything with them.







The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath