Whole-Wheat Cinnamon Rolls
- In a large mixer bowl, combine 3 c. of the all purpose flour and the yeast.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk, butter or margarine, sugar and salt till just warm (120° to 130°) and butter or margarine is almost melted, stirring mixture constantly.
- Add to flour mixture. Add eggs and beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Using a spoon, stir in whole wheat flour and as much of the remaining all purpose flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that’s smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape into a ball. Place in a greased bowl, turning once. Cover and let rise in a warm place till double (about 1 hour).
- Prepare the orange cinnamon filling, set mixture aside.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half of dough into a 12" square.
- Spread half of the filling over each. Sprinkle each with half the nuts. roll up each square, jelly-roll style. Seal edges.
- Slice each roll into 8 pieces. Place the pieces in a greased 13x9x2“ pan or a 12” pizza pan.
- Cover loosely with clear plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 - 24 hours. Uncover and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. (To bake immediately, let the dough rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes or until nearly double.)
- Uncover; bake in 375° oven for 10 minutes. Cover loosely with foil; bake 10 - 15 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Prepare orange glaze. drizzle over rolls.
- Orange-Cinnamon Filling:
- combine ¾ C. sugar, ½ C. softened butter, 4 t. ground cinnamon, 1 T. finely shredded orange peel and 2 t. all purpose flour.
- Orange Glaze: Combine 4 C. sifted powdered sugar and 1 t. vanilla.
From Midwest Living.